Domestic abuse is a serious and sensitive subject, and victims need all the help they need to recover holistically. With our recovery program in Los Angeles, California, we have met several individuals sharing horrid abuse stories.
How do you know someone is a victim of domestic violence?
- Behavioral changes
- Reduced self-esteem
- Makes excuses for bruises and other injuries
- Excessively worries about satisfying their partner’s needs and wants
- Checks in regularly with their partner for no apparent reason
- Is afraid of the partner
TYPES OF DOMESTIC OR RELATIONSHIP ABUSE
- Verbal or Emotional Abuse
- Makes you feel weak or small
- Constantly blames you for almost everything
- Does not listen to you
- Social Abuse
- Makes you ask for approval before seeing your family and friends
- Checks on constantly who you are with and where you are
- Makes fun of you in public
- Sexual Abuse
- Thinks you owe him or her sex
- Forces sexual activities on you
- Deliberately avoids using contraceptives
Furthermore, one key factor that leads to domestic violence is drug dependence. The Addiction Center says, “Nearly 80% of domestic violence crimes are related to the use of drugs.” In this case, find a drug treatment center in California to help a friend or anyone you know.
Know that these are just some of the many types of domestic abuse. If you find yourself or someone you know in one of these conflicts, reach out right away to New Hope Drug& Alcohol Treatment Program, Inc. From substance abuse treatment to finding support for domestic violence victims, we are always here when you need us.