Alcohol dependence is an addiction to drinking alcohol and involves the inability to manage one’s drinking habits. Also called alcohol use disorder, many individuals struggle with alcohol dependence because they often feel they cannot function normally without alcohol. This can affect their professional goals, personal relationships, and overall health. Hence, individuals that struggle with alcohol dependence should seek substance abuse treatment to help overcome this addiction.
Likewise, here are the common signs of alcohol dependence:
- Drinking alone or in secrecy and isolating or becoming distant from family and friends
- Experiencing temporary blackouts or short-term memory loss
- Missing work, school, or important life events because of drinking
- Frequent mood swings and exhibiting signs of irritability or anger when asked about their drinking habits
- Making excuses to drink even when legal, economic, or social problems develop
Additionally, individuals with alcohol dependence also have cravings for alcohol and experience withdrawal symptoms when not drinking. These include shaking, nausea, and vomiting.
If you or a loved one is exhibiting these symptoms, consider joining a recovery program in Los Angeles, California to address alcohol dependence.
As a drug treatment center in California, we at New Hope Drug & Alcohol Treatment Program, Inc. offer customized recovery plans to help you overcome alcohol dependence. Reach out to us today to get started.